After baking and eating these adorable tarts, I can definitely say that they have been added to the list of our favorite desserts. The pistachio shells are delicately crisp and the mascarapone filling is to die for! I have to admit that while assembling them, more filling went directly into my mouth than into the tarts. :)
Continue for Recipe
Recipe adapted from Desserts for Breakfast
For the tart shells:
240 gr of flour
65 gr shelled pistachios (I used dry roasted unsalted, I wasn't able to find raw ones)
50 gr of sugar
7 Tbspn od cold butter
1 egg yolk
3-4 Tbspn of cold water
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, pistachios, and sugar and process
until the pistachios are finely ground.
2. Using the food processor or a pastry cutter, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture
until the size of small peas.
3. Add the egg yolk and gradually add the water just until a dough begins to form when you press it between two fingers. Do not overmix.
4. Form the pastry into a ball and refrigerate for at least one hour.
(or stick it in the freezer for a shorter amount of time.)
5. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
6. Remove the pastry dough from the fridge and press the dough into the tart pans. Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork. Return to freezer for a few minutes if the dough has softened.
7. Bake for ~13-15 minutes until the edges just begin to turn golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
For the filling:
450 gr mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tspn vanilla extract
freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
1. In a mixer bowl with the whisk attachment, whip the mascarpone, brown sugar, and
heavy cream on medium high until soft peaks.
2. Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest and continue to whip just until stiff peaks. Do not overmix.
3. Spoon the filling into the cooled tart shell, and smooth with a spatula. Top with raspberries or berries/fruit of your choice.